“Since 2000, I have worked with ten personal trainers and myriad class instructors. My top trainer? Derrick Johnson.
Derrick rates as A-List in every category:
- Lifestyle modifications: I travel frequently for work, and Derrick made me a small workout book with exercises I could do on the road so I will not lose ground while I am away. That personal touch and extra effort sets Derrick apart.
- Enthusiastic and encouraging: Working out with Derrick, I am never afraid to try and fail at an exercise because I know he will just pick me up and help me learn how to do that exercise. Bear crawls were a trial for my lack of coordination. I may still hate them, but I can do them backwards and forward.
- Realistic goal and clear expectation setting: When I had a specific goal, to learn how to ski, Derrick modified my workout to strengthen muscles needed for that. The feedback loop of reaching a goal and setting a new one made me more enthusiastic about working out.
- Variety: Derrick changes up workouts frequently to prevent boredom, as I have a short attention span. Even better, Derrick takes into account what my favorite exercises are and integrates them to make the workout more fun.
- Proper form, proper exercise mix, and proper level of effort: This may seem like a given, unfortunately not always. Derrick’s expertise at ensuring I am doing the right exercise the right way not only ensures I reach goals, it also ensures that I never injure myself working out.
Most importantly, I like and trust Derrick, making working out a pleasure rather than a chore. That makes Derrick a great trainer.”